It’s no secret that popcorn has been around since the Native Americans first made it thousands of years ago. Popcorn has always been an immensely popular snack food, especially in American culture, with its wide variety of ways to be eaten, prepared, and flavors to be infused into the base popcorn itself.
But there are so many different kinds of popcorn out there – and there are lots of ways to enjoy this classic snack food, like with butter or ketchup or sprinkled with cheese, but what if you want to try something new? Fortunately, we’ve got five healthy popcorn snack mix recipes that will get your taste buds popping.
Healthy Popcorn Snack Mix Recipes
These creative recipes will give you inspiration as you whip up your healthy snack mixes or help you decide which healthy ingredients you want to experiment with at home first.
So, let’s get started!
Honey and Cinnamon Snack Mix
This mix is like a bowl of goodness that can be enjoyed by everyone. Nutrients in honey help kill germs and fight off infection. Cinnamon is a good source of manganese, which helps your body metabolize food into energy.
When combined, honey and cinnamon make for an excellent snack to boost immunity and overall health and make for an amazing snack that will taste great even for those who don’t really like popcorn. You can never go wrong with it!
To make a batch of honey and cinnamon popcorn snack mix, you’ll need:
- 3 tsp honey
- 1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Unpopped popcorn 1 cup
- Mixe together and then spread out over two baking sheets in a large container.
- At 300 degrees Fahrenheit, bake for 15 minutes.
- Stir and spread out on two more baking sheets and bake another 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before eating!
You can also substitute ingredients or eliminate them (like salt) to keep your snacks healthy cut down on sugar intake.
Store leftover snack mix in an airtight container or resealable bag. Enjoy!
Dried Fruits and Nuts Popcorn Snack Mix
This super easy, sweet and salty snack mix is perfect for movie night at home. With just a handful of ingredients, you can make enough for everyone!
Nuts, dried fruits, and seeds are excellent for snacking. They’re loaded with fiber, protein, and healthy fats that keep you feeling fuller longer. Nuts tend to be low in sugar and high in vitamins and minerals. Plus, when eaten in moderation, nuts may lower your risk of heart disease—which could be particularly important if you suffer from diabetes or heart disease.
Now kick up your feet and enjoy!
To make a batch of dried fruit, nuts, and seeds popcorn snack mix you’ll need:
- Half cup dried nuts of your choice (almonds, cashew nuts or walnuts)
- Half cup dried fruits of your choice (mango, apricot or strawberries)
- Popped popcorn
- Salt as per your taste
- Sugar 1tsp
- Take a large bowl.
- Cut the dried fruits and nuts into edible pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and whisk to combine.
Chocolate Covered Sunflower Seeds Popcorn Mix
Sunflower seeds are a great snack to pop, and they can help lower your cholesterol by 7%, according to one study. Sunflower oil is also rich in phytosterols that can reduce LDL (bad) cholesterol levels. Plus, dark chocolate has been linked to numerous health benefits like improving blood flow and reducing blood pressure; it may even help you lose weight.
Combine all three of these powerhouse ingredients with popcorn into one super-snack by covering them with delicious dark chocolate, and enjoy your healthy meal.
- 6 cups of popped popcorn
- 1/2 cup of white chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon of sunflower oil
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate pieces
- Arrange the popped corn in a single layer on a baking sheet or cutting board, and then set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, over low heat, stir together white chocolate chips and sunflower oil until melted and smooth.
- Immediately drizzle the mixture over popcorn and gently mix with your hands until evenly coated.
- Let cool completely before eating (15 minutes to 1 hour).
Best if stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Parmesan Peppercorn Nut Mix
This Parmesan peppercorn nut mix is a delicious snack that provides protein, antioxidants, and healthy fats. The blend of parmesan cheese and peppercorns adds a salty-spicy bite to your popcorn without additional calories. It’s also low in fat and high in fiber, so it makes for a great snack option.
A single serving of our Parmesan Peppercorn Nut Mix has 20% of your daily recommended intake of Vitamin E, 15% Iron, and 10% Fiber! With such a nutritious mix that doesn’t sacrifice taste, you can eat more guilt-free, knowing you are adding some much-needed nutrients to your diet.
To make a batch of Parmesan Peppercorn Nut Mix, you’ll need
- 2 cups of popcorn
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- One handful of peppercorn nuts
- Start by cooking 2 cups of popcorn according to the package directions.
- In a bowl, mix 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
- Add black pepper, salt, peppercorn nuts and garlic powder.
- Once the popcorn is done, add in mixed ingredients and toss until coated. Enjoy!
Trail Mix with Dark Chocolate Chips
This is a great snack when you want something sweet, salty and crunchy. The snack mix contains healthy fats, protein and antioxidants!
Mixing chocolate and nuts can help keep you satisfied for longer periods of time since both ingredients take a long time to digest. Dark chocolate is packed with antioxidants linked to boosting cognitive health and reducing oxidative stress, which may also prevent heart disease.
This snack is an energy powerhouse!
To make a batch of Trail mix with dark chocolate chips, you’ll need
- 2 cups (1 serving) popped popcorn
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons salted sunflower seeds
- Take a mixing bowl.
- Add all the ingredients in the bowl and mix together.
- Store in an airtight container.
Our Final Thoughts
Nutritious popcorn snack mix recipes can provide a good way to satisfy your sweet tooth healthily.
Popcorn is a great option when you’re trying to create a healthy snack mix recipe that still satisfies your need for savory, salty and crunchy snacks. It’s full of fiber, can be low in calories if you choose air-popped, and tastes great when combined with nuts, seeds and dried fruit. Give one of these healthy popcorn snack mix recipes a try for your next snack.