When it comes to managing weight after gastric bypass surgery, most people quickly learn that portion control is crucial to successful weight loss. What people don’t always realize, however, is how important snacking can be in helping you keep your portions under control.
Luckily, there are plenty of healthy snack recipes for bariatric patients to keep hunger pangs at bay until your next meal or until you can get home and get something more substantial.
Try out these bariatric-friendly snacks that are low in sugar and carbs to help you stay on track with your diet goals without sabotaging your progress.
Healthy Snack Recipes For Bariatric Patients
No-Bake Granola Bars
Granola bars are a staple for any student or busy professional. For those who have undergone bariatric surgery, it can be hard to find ones that meet their dietary needs. That’s why we recommend making your own at home. This particular recipe calls for just three ingredients and is easy enough that you can make a big batch in no time flat! Plus, it’s an awesome source of fiber, omega-3 fats, and antioxidants—all things bariatric patients should be increasing in their diets.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- Half cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp cinnamon per serving
- 3 tsp agave nectar
- Honey 2 tbsp
- Take a medium-sized container.
- Bring all of the ingredients together in the container and mix well.
- Press into a baking dish lined with parchment paper, then cut into 12 bars when cool.
- Store them in an airtight container or Ziploc bag.
Avocado Chocolate Mousse
Avocados are a great tool for adding healthy fats into your diet. Not only does it taste wonderful, but it’s also very versatile. Avocados are packed with heart-healthy, monounsaturated fats. That’s one reason why avocados are a big hit among many bariatric patients and weight loss enthusiasts. A half of a fresh avocado provides nearly 20 percent of your daily recommended intake of Vitamin K, which is essential for helping your body absorb calcium. The creamy texture and mild flavor are a perfect complement to chocolate mousse.
- One sliced avocado
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Egg whites from two eggs
- Mash up an avocado in a bowl.
- Pour in some cocoa powder, and then use an electric mixer to thoroughly combine the ingredients until they are completely smooth.
- Beat two egg whites until they become stiff peaks form; then fold them into your chocolate mixture. Enjoy!
This is a great snack that can help curb cravings and give you energy.
Baked apples are easy to make and take almost no time at all. The result? A tasty little snack that will fill you up while keeping your sugar levels in check! Plus, they’re filling enough that you won’t feel tempted to consume an entire meal’s worth of calories in one sitting.
- Baking sheet
- 2tsp lemon juice
- 1tsp cinnamon powder
- ¼ cup of water
- 2-3 sliced apples
- Line a baking dish with parchment paper.
- Core apples and place them in a baking dish; drizzle with lemon juice.
- Sprinkle apple slices with cinnamon and stevia, and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until tender.
- After 20 minutes, baste apples every five minutes with 1/4 cup water mixed with 1 teaspoon vinegar (this will keep apple slices firm).
Serve hot or cold!
Blueberry Protein Balls
There’s something about a blueberry that just screams summer, and these protein balls will keep you going throughout all your warm-weather activities; these protein balls are a great snack for those following a bariatric diet. Just make sure you don’t eat more than one per day, as they contain 515 calories total.
Blueberries have been shown to improve memory in older adults, promote heart health by reducing inflammation in blood vessels, and even help fight cancer. They also have a low glycemic index rating, meaning that their sugars enter your bloodstream slowly over time. This snack is both 100% healthy and tasty!
- 2 cups frozen wild blueberries
- 1 cup coconut or almond butter
- 1⁄2 cup whole oats
- 2 scoops of vanilla protein powder Coconut flakes (optional)
- In a bowl, stir together coconut or almond butter and protein powder until smooth.
- Add oats and blueberries, mixing thoroughly.
- Roll mixture into bite-sized balls and coat with a sprinkling of coconut flakes for extra flair.
- Keep it in a refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Egg Salad in Avocado Boats
Avocados have been known to be extremely healthy for a long time now, but they’re also perfect for bariatric patients. Avocados are naturally low in calories and high in fiber, making them a great addition to any diet plan. They’re also full of heart-healthy fats and protein, which will keep you feeling fuller longer without as many calories.
The best part is that avocados can easily be added to a lot of different foods or eaten raw when you need a quick snack that won’t weigh you down.
- Two half-boiled eggs
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1tsp paprika powder
- Slat as you desire
- 2 avocados
- Using a blender or food processor, puree an egg that has been soft-boiled, an avocado, and mayonnaise until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Top each avocado half with 1 tablespoon of filling.
- Sprinkle with paprika and additional salt, as per your taste.
This recipe makes two servings, and each one has about 130 calories. It’s also gluten-free, dairy-free, and paleo-friendly!
Our Final Thoughts
Weight loss surgery is an effective way to lose weight, and you can expect many benefits from bariatric surgery. However, if you’re planning on getting any type of weight loss surgery, it’s essential you prepare both your body and mind for what is about to happen. As with any significant life change, there are some healthy snack recipes for bariatric patients.
By preparing for both lifestyle changes and sudden hunger pangs, you should stock up on snacks that are minimal in calories, like fruits and veggies, so that when hunger strikes, you have something filling (but light) at hand. So we’ve put together a list of our top five most yummy and healthy snack recipes for bariatric patients that taste great and are easy to make. They can be enjoyed as much by people with average appetites as they can by those looking to lose weight. It’s crucial you treat yourself while still eating healthy in order to avoid bingeing later on – so these easy snacks might just become your favorite!