All winter calls for is snuggling up with a plate of hot snacks near the fireplace with a blanket wrapped around your shoulders and we do not blame you. Here is a list of our favorite healthy winter snack recipes that you can enjoy on a cold evening while watching your favorite Netflix series.
The best part about these snack recipes is that they will not leave you hungry. Depending on how hungry you are, you can consume them as meals or as snacks. Whatever you choose to do, these wholesome snacks will leave you coming back for more.
Healthy Winter Snack Recipes
1. Pizza Swirls
Nothing sounds better in the winters than some cheese and deli meat. While super comforting in the cold, this dish makes a perfect snack for the rest of the year too.
- Sugar: 2 teaspoons
- Dry yeast: 1 teaspoon
- Whole milk: 1 cup
- Olive oil: 1 tablespoon
- Kosher salt: 2 teaspoons
- Caraway seeds: 2 teaspoons
- All-purpose flour: 2 ½ cups
- Mayonnaise: ½ cup
- Dill pickles: 3 tablespoons, diced
- Ketchup: 2 tablespoons
- Brown sugar: 1 teaspoon
- Onion powder: ½ teaspoon
- Pepper: ¼ teaspoon
- Hot sauce: 2 dashes
- Garlic powder: To taste
- Corned beef: ¾ pounds, sliced finely
- Swiss cheese: ½ pound, sliced thinly
- In some warm milk, add in your yeast and sugar, and allow it to sit for 15 minutes. Then, add the caraway seeds, kosher salt, and yeast mixture- blend them until they are properly mixed together.
- Slowly mix in ½ cup flour at a time until everything is combined properly.
- Pour some oil on your hands and put the dough in a greased place. Allow the dough to rise in a warm place for 2 hours. We would recommend covering the plate with some foil and a piece of cloth.
- Make the thousand-island sauce while your dough is rising by mixing mayonnaise, pickles, ketchup, brown sugar, onion powder, pepper, hot sauce, and garlic powder. Keep this sauce in the refrigerator once combined.
- Start preheating the oven until it reaches 375 degrees. Using some greased foil, cover the pizza foils for 20 mins. Bake them while they are covered for 20 minutes.
- Then, remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes or till they turn golden brown.
- Serve while they are still hot, along with some previously made sauce.
Flavorful and filling, these wraps will have you craving more within no time. A specialty from the south, they can be served as a meal, as well as a snack.
- Ground beef: 1 pound
- Onion: 1 medium, chopped
- Taco seasoning: 1 envelop
- Water: ¾ cup
- Monterey Jack cheese: 3 cups, shredded
- Sour cream: 1 cup
- Green chilis: 1 can, chopped and drained
- Egg roll wrappers: 14
- Egg white: 1, beaten
- Oil: To deep-fry
- Salsa: To taste
- Sour cream: To taste
- Take a large skillet and cook onion and beef using medium heat. You need to keep cooking till the meat is not pink anymore and then drain it.
- Slowly mix in water and taco seasoning, allowing the mixture to come to a boil. Then, simmer and reduce the heat. Leave the skillet uncovered for 5 minutes during this process and keep stirring every now and then.
- Remove from the stove and cool to room temperature.
- Take a big bowl and mix in chilies, sour cream, and cheese. Mix this up, and then mix in the beef.
- On a flat surface, put the egg roll wrapper so that it is pointing towards you. Pot some filling in the middle and start folding the sides of the wrapper over the filling.
- Use some egg white to brush up the wrapper. Follow this method till your filling finishes. The egg will ensure that the wrappers do not dry out.
- Using a deep pan, heat the oil till it reaches 375 degrees. Put in the chimichangas and fry them till they are golden brown in color. This should take 2 minutes. Place the fried chimichangas on paper towels to help absorb the additional oil.
- Serve while they are still hot with some sour cream and salsa.
3. Cheese Covered with Chocolate and Sea Salt
Can you name a better combination than some chocolate and cheese? While they might taste great on their own, together, these ingredients will leave you wishing you had tried them sooner.
- Monterey Jack cheese or aged cheddar: 8 ounces
- Bittersweet or dark chocolate: 6 ounces, chopped
- Black sea salt: To taste
- Cup up the cheese into cubes so that each cube is ½ inch thick.
- Melt some chocolate in a microwave. Make sure to do so in bursts so that the chocolate does not burn. Keep stirring the chocolate every couple of seconds so that it is completely smooth.
- Put some sticks in the middle of the cheese cubes to make it easier to handle them.
- Dip the cheese cubes into the melted chocolate. Make sure to get rid of the excess.
- Put the chocolate-covered cheese cubes on some waxed paper and then sprinkle with some dark salt.
- You can pop these cubes in the fridge or consume them immediately so that they taste amazing.
Our Final Thoughts
It is completely normal to feel hungrier in the winters. After all, you want some comfort, and eating some sweet and hot snacks is all that we want. However, it is important to choose your snacks wisely so that they do not leave you hungry and you do not experience a sugar crash later.
This winter, fulfill your holiday cravings. Find some healthier alternatives if you need to but make sure that you check the nutritional information of each snack so that you do not end up overeating, especially if you have pre-existing conditions, such as diabetes.